Monday, August 2, 2010

Figs and Bacon with a Honey Glaze

025


I made these appetizers a week or so ago after the farmer's market finally having figs. Unfortunately they weren't the best figs ever. A little mushy and some even had mold on them already (how did I not notice that before buying them?!). I was a little disappointed with their flavor as well, not quite as sweet and... figgy as I was hoping, but before this I had only had fresh figs twice before, so I'm probably not the best judge. I'm hoping that they're better the next time I'm there.

006


I looked all over taste spotting to find a "recipe" for a sweet/savory thing to make with figs and all I came up with was prosciutto and figs, which (don't get me wrong) sounded lovely, but I had just purchased some delicious looking bacon from the farmers market as well. I decided to just go with it.

What I ended up doing was wrapping a half a slice of thick thick bacon around a fig. Then I cut the fig into quarters at the top and filled it with a honey glaze. The honey glaze just had ginger and cinnamon in it. I felt like the glaze might have over powered the figs, but it made for a pretty good combination that I'd like to perfect sometime.

018


Recipe (it's pretty simple):
2 tbsps honey
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 figs
1 slice bacon

1. Cut the bacon in half lengthwise so that it isn't taller than the fig
2. Wrap the bacon around the fig and secure it (I used hemp twine because that was all I had)
3. Heat the honey, ginger, and cinnamon together until fragrant and runny.
4. Open up the top of the fig and pour the honey glaze inside
5. Broil until the bacon is cooked

No comments:

Post a Comment